Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Be Thou My Vision.

With a trip like this it’s easy to feel the need to work out all the details, or to do one’s best to finalize a schedule of what it will all look like. I’ll be honest, as much as I claim to be “spontaneous” I also like a certain amount of organization. I like to know what type of clothes to bring, about how much money I will need and how many books I can squeeze in my suitcase before it outweighs me. People like to “know.” I like to “know.” But with God the thing is that you can never really “know.” All you can do is to put your trust in him fully, discern where you feel him leading, then step out in obedience and “go.” I can believe what it says in Matthew 6:25-34, “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear” (v. 25), but it is another thing entirely to live by it.

I’m not quite there yet, I wish I could say I was. But hopefully as I study the Word more, and commit passages like that one in Matthew to heart, it will become more of a lifestyle, not just verbiage in of my Christian dialect.

I also hope this is one of the things I come away from this trip with, along with a deeper knowledge and trust in the greatness of God, and a deeper relationship with him as I encounter him in my life and through the people we come to know along the way.

We have a basic itinerary of where we plan to go, “plan” being used very loosely here, and somewhat of a time frame in mind, but ultimately these next two months are up to the Lord as we leave our schedule sensitive and open to his leading. Our vision is to take on his vision. Our “plan” to follow his plan. This is his trip more than it is any of ours, and each day that revelation becomes more real I become more excited that he’s chosen to take me along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment