Saturday, July 24, 2010

God’s Finger in "Mystery Fun Night"


Wow. Where to even begin... Well, each week, on Monday, our DTS group does something called “Mystery Fun Night.” There isn’t really a structure for it other something mysteriously fun. It can be anything from a scavenger hunt, to a thumb wrestling tournament, to an outbreak of healings and gold dust appearing out of thin air. Wait a minute.... Yep, you read that right. Healings and gold dust. Ok, let me back up for a minute.


Ever since arrival day, just over two weeks ago, the students have been beyond anxious to know the locations for the outreach phase following this three month lecture phase. Some of the staff decided this first “Mystery Fun Night” would be a good way to do that. So, instead of just making some jazzed up announcement we watched the movie, “The Finger of God.” Whoa. I had never seen it or even heard of it before so I had no idea what I was in for...


Set up as a documentary this film is the story of a somewhat skeptic believer on a journey around the world in search of the supernatural things God was doing. The things he had heard rumors of, but never witnessed. I have to be honest, as I watched I felt a bit of skepticism myself. Jewels falling from nowhere during church services, gold dust appearing randomly on people, manna in the pages of someone’s Bible and on and on. It’s not that I didn’t believe God could do that, I guess I just couldn’t understand why. But then again, why would people lie about something like that, something that reaped no apparent physical or personal gain. I just don’t know...


As the movie began to wrap up I, and I’m sure others, glanced around the room trying to gage where others were at in response to it all. I was worried that some might be intimidated and even a bit turned off by it all. Then, just as our leader, Andrew, was about to move into announcing the outreach locations it happened. As Andrew approached the stage a small group had started to form around one of our students, Chris. Once on stage it was clear that announcing those locations just didn’t seem too important anymore. I made my way over to the crowd, and as the wall of people broke open my eyes met Chris’s. He stood there, in the middle of fellow students and staff, tears falling and arms outstretched glistening with gold dust. Speechlessness was inevitable. Awe and reverence are inconceivable understatements. “Glory,” the only word that comes close at all to explaining the overwhelming sense that swept over me, and then only if repeated multiple times on end from here on into eternity.


We spent the next hour prayer for each other and sharing in the joy as God moved among our students healing many of them of things like asthma, back and shoulder problems and scoliosis. I watched as one of the girls I meet one on one with weekly was healed from her knee problems; problems attributed to a half inch length difference between legs and something she was unaware until she saw her right foot grow that missing half inch. I was there friends. I saw it with my own eyes. God is real. God is very much alive, despite what some may think. And He is on the move. How will you receive him?


It is undeniable. God touched our group that night. He made his presence known and left us marked with the inescapably glorious imprint of his finger on our lives. I’m glad it was just a finger. I’m not sure I could have handled more ... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment